It may just be the smartest move for Smartphones. 

After years of struggling to maintain importance in the growing sector, BlackBerry will be focusing solely on Android in the coming year. The revelation was made Thursday at this year’s staging of the CES in Las Vegas. The news means BlackBerry will not be making any phones operating on the BlackBerry 10 system this year. 

Last year the company announced it would create its first device to use the Android opearting system, the Priv, which will be sold by major carriers in the United States once the 60-day trial period with AT&T ends. Apparently, positive reception of the Priv prompted BlackBerry officials to rethink the company’s approach and, instead of alienating itself by continuing to create phones for its own system, will adopt Android as the go-to system in 2016.

In an interview with CNet, BlackBerry CEO John Chen said sales for the Priv have been good. “I’m taking a cautiously optimistic view,” Chen said. Optimistic enough to roll the phone out to 31 countries across the globe. 

The initial asking price of $699, Chen said, will likely decrease as time goes on. So, BlackBerry 10 isn’t quite dead but it certainly looks as though it’s being moved to the old age home where it will likely quietly fade away.
Culled from: Source